Monday, October 3, 2011

My ride:


Its 3 am, and I see a man holding a "Mehtasid" placard, almost sleeping while standing and making my name sound like a medicine ingredient. Turns out in China - they call you by lastname,firstname. I greet him, he takes my luggage and seats me inside a fancy car - which is a right hand drive. Feels homely - recollecting from Wikipedia that Hong Kong was once a British territory, too.

A 30 minute ride puts us to the border where we enter China in a 3 step fashion - the guy takes my passport to the customs and immigration officers at each step, talks to them and makes me feel nothing short of a king, or a mafia who  has to just sit inside the car and wave to the police. This looks like right out of a movie - crossing the border in a car at 4am. I try stepping out of the car once to meet the Police, but the driver signals me to sit back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment